"Relief of poverty, relief of illness; relief of doubt, relief of ignorance--relief of all that hinders the joy and progress of a woman."
--John A Widtsoe

Monday, February 11, 2013

Filling My Reservoir - Strengthening the Individual Woman (Intro)

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

per·fect : [pur-fikt; per-fekt]
adj. 1. conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type.
2. excellent or complete.
3. exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose.
Verb. 1. to bring to completion; finish.
2. to bring nearer to perfection; improve.
3. to make fully skilled.
Origin Latin perfectus, past participle of perficere  to finish, bring to completion

As women, we are often called upon to do many things. When the call comes to us, we are true to our eternal natures and answer it with service.

When our personal reservoirs are full, we are able to give and to work cheerfully.

Sometimes, we find that we've neglected ourselves. Our reservoirs are not as full as they could be, and that leaves us with a bit of a lack. Empty reservoirs will affect our ability to do what we need to in life.

Perhaps we are afraid and we back down from an opportunity for service and growth. Or maybe we go ahead, giving reserves we don't have. As a result, we only end up injuring ourselves. This is not good.

To enable a woman to reach her full potential, we are encouraging her to fill her personal reservoir. We wish every sister to work this year towards filling more of herself so that if she is ever called upon in her personal life, at work, at church or wherever she may be, she will have the capacity and the resources to achieve excellence.


The Waters of My Reservoir

This year, I will dedicate myself to building me up in these four areas:

Physical Spiritual Mental Social

Sometimes I may find myself stronger in one area than another. I plan to discover what I am weakest in and give it a bit more focus.

Physical

Heavenly Father gave me my body and He wants me to take care of it. I cannot avoid old age, but I can maintain excellent health practices and manage my mortal challenges the best I can. By feeding my body proper food and giving it beneficial exercise and treating it well, I will find my capacity to perform day-to-day will increase. By identifying illness early, I can get it treated and avoid complications.

Spiritual

When I increase my spirituality, I draw closer to my Heavenly Father and I gain a better understanding of my existence. By nourishing my spiritual side, I become more susceptible to the Holy Ghost's influence. Building my spiritual side will put me on a higher level of consciousness and enable me to see the world more as my Heavenly Father would.

Mental

My intelligence has been with me from the very beginning and will continue with me throughout the eternities. I will take the opportunity now to gain as much knowledge as I can. Knowledge is a precursor to wisdom. "The Glory of God is Intelligence."

Social

I am surrounded by my brothers and sisters. How I treat them is extremely important. Likewise, how I act will help determine how they treat me. Confidence and thoughtfulness are excellent goals of the strong, social woman.