"Relief of poverty, relief of illness; relief of doubt, relief of ignorance--relief of all that hinders the joy and progress of a woman."
--John A Widtsoe

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Resolve to Act

Last week I treated Their Ladyships to a bit of fast food. While we were waiting for an order, a young child, about two years old or so, trailed after her mother while sipping on a drink.

The drink, damp with condensation, slipped from her hands and fell to the floor. It did not spill, but lay there, waiting at her feet.

To my surprise, the child stared at it for a moment, then started wailing. She cried and stamped her feet uselessly until her mother came over, picked up the drink and handed it back to the child.

I was surprised and disappointed at this whole scenario. This child, quite able-bodied from what I could tell, was utterly helpless. And what was worse, her mother enabled her helplessness.

Most other children of my acquiantance would have picked up the drink immediately and continued on their merry way. Had one of my daughters behaved as this little girl had, I would have said, "Go ahead and pick it up, dear. It's okay." But it would have been up to her to act.

How many of us have been taught to be "helpless"? When something happens that we are not happy with, do we say nothing, or shirk away or regret not acting? Do we give in when others are more assertive than us? Do we let things be?

Or do we realise our true power to change our world?

I have been guilty in the past of not acting in favour of my own best interests. There have been times when I've witnessed things happen in my life and, instead of acting for change, acted helpless.

I'll tell you, when I took the coward's path, things always went against my favour.

Our Relief Society lesson last Sunday was Pres. Dieter F Uchdorf's excellent Conference talk "Of Regrets and Resolutions". If you weren't in Relief Society (Or Elder's Quorum) last Sunday, I encourage you to read through it. (Well? Why are you sitting there, doing nothing? Go READ!)

As the New Year comes upon us, it is a time to make resolutions to be better people. The best change for yourself comes when you act.

Resolutions don't always have to be about trying to be "better". Sometimes simply changing something for the sake of change can be good for you. Sometimes we get stuck in ruts and don't realise it.

I would hope you put some thought and action into resolutions. Include some little things as well as big things in your list.

Meanwhile...
What will you do in 2013?